Big Thumbs Up for All 20 Songs from the Up in the Air Soundtrack
I am guessing if you googled Up in the Air soundtrack it may be because of one of a handful of songs. First on my list would be the wedding song, which is called Help Yourself and is by Sad Brad Smith. It’s a damn good song. I cannot find the full video, but here’s a minute of it overlaid on scenes from Up in the Air.
I also liked David Winer’s Ticket to Life Theme, which plays when he heads back to Omaha. And you can never, ever go wrong with Elliott Smith. Angels in the Snow was perfectly fitting for his return to his old high school. (I couldn’t find the actual song on YouTube, but here is a good cover version of it):
Goin’ Home from Dan Auerbach is also haunting it fits so well.
I also enjoyed the comic relief in the form of Young MC and Naughty by Nature at the tech expo. Good stuff.
Here’s the complete list of songs from Up in the Air in the order they appeared in the movie. I was able to discern about half of the songs, so I matched them to scenes where I could. If you happen to know which songs were in the other scenes, please post a comment and I will update the list.
- Opening credits – This Land is Your Land – Sharon Jones and The Dap – Kings
- Hotel bar (?) – Mood Indigo – Thelonious Monk
- “He’s old” – Lonely in Love – Jeff Babko
- (unknown scene) – Goin’ Home – Dan Auerbach
- Tech party – O.P.P. - Naughty By Nature
- Dancing at tech party – Good Times – Chic
- Young MC singing at party – Bust a Move – Young MC
- Talking at the party – Sign Your Name – Sananda Maitreya (Terence Trent D’Arby)
- Singing karaoke – Time After Time – Anna Kendrick
- (unknown scene) – Genova – Charles Atlas
- (unknown scene) – By Your Side – Blue Mountain
- (unknown scene) – Hurtin’ You – Ben Kweller
- School – Angel in the Snow – Elliott Smith
- Wedding Song – Help Yourself – Sad Brad Smith
- Wedding Reception – Empty Boxes – The Everly Brothers
- (unknown scene) – Thank You Lord – Roy Buchanan
- (unknown scene) – The Snow Before Us – Charles Atlas
- Back in Omaha – Tickets to Life Theme – David Winer
- Clooney thinking things through – Taken At All – Crosby, Stills & Nash (thanks Kevin for finding the scene)
- End credits – Be Yourself – Graham Nash
- End credits song – Up in the Air – Kevin Renick (thanks Kevin for posting a correction in the comments)
- Original music for Up in the Air – Rolfe Kent
Extra song on the album, not in the movie – Taken At All – Crosby, Stills & Nash