Gentleman Broncos Soundtrack Features Scorpions, Black Sabbath and Cher
A couple days ago, a reader who liked the Iron Man 2 soundtrack asked if we could take a look at the movie Gentleman Broncos and figure out the songs that played in the scenes of the movie. Thanks to the speed of Netflix (good) and a cancelled dinner (not so good), I was able to watch the movie tonight and match up almost all of the songs. So here we go @TheWoundedJukebox. Hope you enjoy!
The studio did not release a soundtrack album for the movie, but here are all 20 songs from Gentleman Broncos in the order they appeared in the movie. The movie opens with the montage of sci-fi fantasy book covers featuring the opening credits as the song In the Year 2525 plays.
The soundtrack also includes Wind of Change from the Scorpions, Carry on My Wayward Son from Kansas and Paranoid by Black Sabbath. Total aside: Paranoid was released 40 years ago. That just blows my mind. It is an insane song for being released 40 years ago.
Gentleman Broncos has four woodwind/flute songs from John Two-Hawks. The only problem is that they are listed all together in the credits instead of in the order they appeared in the movie, so these songs might be slightly out of order in the list below, but the rest of them should be good. By good, I mean matched to the right scene. You make the call about whether they are good or not. Case in point – Just Like Jesse James by Cher.
If you’ve seen the movie and have any thoughts on the songs, please post them in the comments. Also, if you have any requests for movies that are missing, post a note and I will queue them up to watch and post about them.
Here’s the list of songs from Gentleman Broncos in the order they appeared in the movie and with notes on the scenes as well as links to the downloads for most of them.
- Opening – In The Year 2525 – Zager & Evans
- Lunch at the Cozy Café – Act Naturally – Buck Owens
- Borrowing money in the café – What A Town – David Bromberg
- In the classroom – Cedar Dreams – John Two-Hawks
- Reading book drafts – Twilight – John Two-Hawks
- (unknown scene) – First Flight – John Two-Hawks
- Department store – John Sebastion’s Girl – Shara Joyce and Rory O’Donoghue
- Changing manuscript – Winds Of Stillness – John Two-Hawks
- Cyclops, jumping – The Oh Of Pleasure – Ray Lynch and Tom Canning
- Back at the house – Beautiful Girl – Studio Musicians (originally performed by INXS)
- Riding behind the truck on the deer, filming movie, book cover – Wind Of Change – Scorpions
- Theme song for the TV show – New World Anthem – Jeremy Wall
- At movie premiere – Celtic Voyage – Joel Bevan
- Preview before movie – Moment Of Truth – Dan Graham
- Movie version of Yeast Lords – Celestial Soda Pop – Ray Lynch
- Movie version of Yeast Lords – Tiny Geometries – Ray Lynch
- Book store, finds out story plagiarized – Just Like Jesse James – Cher
- Piano at Don Carlo’s house – Don Carlo – Robert Miller
- Shoots dart at Don Carlo and book signing – Paranoid – Black Sabbath
- End credits – Carry on Wayward Son – Kansas
Original music for Gentleman Broncos – David Wingo