All 23 Songs from the Shrek Forever After Soundtrack
Shrek Forever After continues the series tradition of incorporating a lot of great songs performed by the movie’s characters to help tell the story. Donkey carries most of the burden – and pulls it off once again. Only half of the songs from the Shrek Forever After are on the soundtrack album, but you can find all 23 songs here, complete with notes on the scenes they were in.
The best song in the movie is Darling I Do by Landon Pigg and Lucy Schwartz. You could call it the love theme to Shrek Forever After because it plays when Shrek and Fiona are sparring and the sparks start flying for the first time. It also plays during the end credits.
Some of the other best music moments from the movie are when the Pied Piper makes the witch dance to the sounds of Sure Shot by the Beastie Boys. This is the second best use of a Beastie Boys song in film, behind the beginning of Star Trek.
The string of songs that Donkey sings when he is toting Shrek to Rumple’s castle are also good for a laugh. They are Papa Don’t Preach, The Greatest Love of All and Hit Me with Your Best Shot, from Madonna, Whitney Houston and Pat Benatar respectively.
I don’t know what I feel about Weezer’s version of I’m a Believer. The remake of a remake of a remake seems a bit forced, but I guess that’s what the fourth film in a franchise is for.
Anyway, here’s the complete list of songs from Shrek Forever After in the order they appeared in the movie and with notes about the scenes they were in. Enjoy!
- Cemetery – Dueling Banjos – Arthur Smith
- (unknown scene) – You’ve Got a Friend – Carole King
- Wish on a star – One Love – Bob Marley
- Flying on the dragon – Isn’t It Strange – Scissor Sisters
- Pinocchio singing – Birthday Bash – Walt Dohm and Gina Shay
- Shrek signs contract and becomes scary again – Top of the World – The Carpenters
- Shrek is captured – Tomorrow – Martin Charnin and Charles Strouse [from the movie Annie]
- Donkey singing – Papa Don’t Preach – Brian Elliot [performed by Madonna]
- Donkey singing part 2 – The Greatest Love of All – Linda Creed and Michael Masser [performed by Whitney Houston]
- Witch whips donkey – Hit Me With Your Best Shot – Edward Schwartz [performed by Pat Benatar]
- Witches dancing at Rumpel’s castle – Rumpel’s Party Palace – Mike Simpson
- (unknown scene) – Happy Birthday to You – Mildred J. Hill and Patty S. Hill
- Shrek on broom – Click Click – Light FM featuring Lloyd Hemmings
- (unknown scene) – Night Mare – Jeremy Steig
- Pied Piper makes the witch dance – Sure Shot – Beastie Boys
- Donkey puts eyes in his nose trick – These Eyes – Randy Bachman and Burton Cummings [performed by The Guess Who]
- Shrek and Fiona sparring – Darling I Do – Landon Pigg and Lucy Schwartz
- Deal of a Lifetime – Orinoco Flow – Enya
- Pied Piper makes ogres dance – Shake Your Groove Thing – Mike Simpson
- Donkey wooing dragon – Hello – Lionel Richie
- Ending – I’m a Believer – Weezer
- Second end credits song – For Once in My Life – Stevie Wonder
- Third end credits song – Right Back Where We Started From – Maxine Nightengale
Original music for Shrek Forever After – Harry Gregson-Williams