All 18 Songs from the Bridesmaids Soundtrack
The Bridesmaids soundtrack brings you Wilson Phillips, Britney Spears, Kate Nash, Fiona Apple, Blondie and Courtney Love wrapped up into 18 songs of celebratory goodness. I don’t know which is more surprising to see turn up and still in rotation, Wilson Phillips or Fiona Apple, but they are both fitting. I also liked Nouvelle Vague’s less violent take on the Violent Femmes classic Blister in the Sun.
Sometimes (a lot of the time) movies introduce us to artists that we probably should have known but don’t. For me, that was Inara George, whose song “It’s Raining” perfectly captures the sense of loss and loneliness that Annie is feeling when she sees her old bakery.
The music producers found a way to make room for a a few of the boys as well, including Smokey Robinson, AC/DC, Dr. Dre and the always fitting Ryan Adams, whose song Answering Bell plays when Annie is baking the carrot cake.
This movie is being called the female Hangover. And they’re right. It’s outrageous and hilarious. Personally, I would put it somewhere between the original Hangover and Hangover Part 2, but it’s definitely one of the funniest movies I’ve seen this year. I’d also nominate it for best use of Wilson Phillips. You may have loved to hate them, but I’m sure you were singing “Hold On” just like the rest of us.
The Bridesmaids soundtrack album has 12 songs from the movie plus an extra bonus live version of Blondie’s “Rip Her to Shreds.” It’s an all or nothing affair – kind of like the movie itself – you have to buy all of the tracks together. Not a bad investment if you’ve been trying to figure out a way to justify adding something from the Britney Spears Greatest Hits to your rotation without having to admit that you bought the album.
However, if you like to pick your mixes one track at at time, you can find the complete list of songs from Bridesmaids, with downloads for them and notes on the scenes they were in below.
- Leaving the house – Rip Her To Shreds – Blondie
- Lillian tells Annie she got engaged – Specks Blues – Specks Williams
- Driving to the engagement party – Blister In The Sun – Nouvelle Vague
- Singing during engagement toast – That’s What Friends Are For – Burt Bacharach and Carol Bayer Sager [link to version by Dionne Warwick and Elton John]
- Annie baking a cupcake – Paper Bag – Fiona Apple
- Playing tennis – Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap – AC/DC [link to tribute version]
- (unknown scene) – Do Wah Doo – Kate Nash
- Brazillian restaurant – Manha De Carnaval – Joao Donato
- (unknown scene) – Morning Dance – Spyro Gyra
- On the plane to Vegas – I’ve Just Begun (Having My Fun) – Britney Spears
- At the bar with the cop – My Love Is Your Love (Forever) – Smokey Robinson & The Miracles
- Annie looking at the bake shop – It’s Raining – Inara George
- Annie is driving, Megan passes her with the puppies in her van – Violet – Hole
- Watching Castaway – Wilson…I’m Sorry – Alan Silvestri
- Annie baking the carrot cake – Answering Bell – Ryan Adams
- Driving slowly in the car past the cop – Natural Born Killaz – Dr Dre and Ice Cube
- Wilson Phillips singing at the wedding – Hold On – Wilson Phillips
- End credits – Shakin’ All Over – Wanda Jackson
- Original score – Original music for Bridesmaids – Michael Andrews
Extra song on the album but not in the movie
- Rip Her to Shreds (Live Version) – Blondie
Here’s Answering Bell from Ryan Adams:
And Violet off of Hole’s album Live Through This: