Take a Chance on the Taking Chances Soundtrack, But Skip the Movie
Taking Chances is not a very good movie. In fact, it should not even make it on the back up extended list of your Instant Queue. I usually like movies – most any movie. I also think Justin Long can be pretty damn funny, even if he has made some pretty bad films. Accepted is one of those movies that I will watch every time USA decides it is back to school enough to run on a loop for a week or two. Unfortunately Taking Chances would be on the bottom of the Long list of mediocre films.
In fact, just about the only redeeming thing about Taking Chances is the soundtrack. There are 13 songs in the movie, 11 of which are from the band Wyoming featuring singer Jacob Bercovici. I am very thankful to the producers of Taking Chances for introducing me to the music of Wyoming. The most recent Wyoming album, In the Wings, is about to go into heavy rotation.
The music from Taking Chances reminds me of the soundtracks to Good Will Hunting and Up in the Air – both great mixes of tunes. Wyoming sounds like a cross between Elliott Smith, Dan Auerbach and Sad Brad Smith. Good vocals, scratchy acoustic guitars and a hook that sticks in your craw.
I was able to track down two Wyoming albums on Amazon, a Facebook page as well as a references to the albums on a good ole MySpace page, but not much else about Jacob or his band. (Any fans of Wyoming out there? If so, please share.) I downloaded the 16 songs from Wyoming that I could find, off the 2011 album In the Wings, which is closest to the sound of the songs from the movie, as well as the earlier album In Prison, which is still good, but not a different sound. If you are going to go with one of them, pick up In the Wings first.
I had a really hard time trying to find downloads for the songs from the movie, so I’m not going to be able to provide the customary links to the songs in the movie, or to identify the specific scenes they were in. If you are able to track down any of these songs, please let me know. I’ll be happy to share.
Here’s the complete list of 13 songs from Taking Chances in the order they appeared in the movie:
- What Will You Do – Wyoming featuring Jacob Bercovici
- Golden Bones – Wyoming featuring Jacob Bercovici
- Over the Sun – Wyoming featuring Jacob Bercovici
- Is it Yours, Is it Mine – Wyoming featuring Jacob Bercovici
- Bumblee Lights – Wyoming featuring Jacob Bercovici
- Pol Pot’s Theme – John Gold, Sam Music and David Ralicke
- Barstow Shuffle – Wyoming featuring Jacob Bercovici
- Coral Reefs – Wyoming featuring Jacob Bercovici
- Selma – Wyoming featuring Jacob Bercovici
- London – Noonday Underground
- Prospector’s Lament – Wyoming featuring Jacob Bercovici
- Sunburned – Wyoming featuring Jacob Bercovici
- American Dream Sweet Dreams – Wyoming featuring Jacob Bercovici
- Original music for Taking Chances – Scott Glasgow
Here’s the only video that I could find for the songs from Taking Chances. It’s London by Noonday Underground: