Perfect Song, Perfect Scene from Love Actually
Every once in a while someone reminds me of a movie that I love completely but haven’t thought of in a while. Usually that leads to a couple hours of looking back and listening to the songs from the movie. That happened today. I haven’t seen Love Actually since last Christmas or so, but I’m going to have to see if its on Netflix streaming because I can’t get the movie or the music out of my head.
Thankfully, YouTube has some of my favorite scenes from the movie, including the final scene when everyone is meeting their loved ones at the airport and the school concert where the son is playing the drums while the girl he has a crush on is singing All I Want for Christmas. At first he thinks she is singing to him, but then she points to everyone. He has such a look of heartbreak. But then, she turns and sings to him again. The twists and turns of the heart, captured in the innocence of young love.
The video is disabled for editing, but you watch it on YouTube by clicking on the picture here:
This is what I would call a perfect song in a perfect scene. The lyrics “and you, and you, and you” provide the perfect cadence to build him up, tear him down and then build him up again. It’s a classic song made new. I will never be able to hear any version of it again without thinking of this particular scene.
The final scene features the song God Only Knows by the Beach Boys, another amazing song.
Here’s the complete list of songs from the movie. I hope you enjoy the songs and call into work late tomorrow because you stayed up late into the night watching this incredible movie.
You can find links and videos for the songs from Love Actually on the Reelsoundtrack website.
I also pulled together as many of the songs as possible into a Spotify playlist for the Love Actually soundtrack.
- All Alone on Christmas – Darlene Love
- All I Want for Christmas is You – Olivia Olson
- All I Want for Christmas is You – Tessa Niles
- All You Need is Love – Lynden David Hall
- Both Sides Now – Joni Mitchell
- Bye Bye Baby (Baby Goodbye) – Bay City Rollers
- Catch a Falling Star – Cast
- God Only Knows – Beach Boys
- Good King Wenceslas – Hugh Grant and Andrew Tinkler
- Here With Me – Dido
- I’ll See It Through – Texas
- Jump (For My Love) – Pointer Sisters
- Like I Love You – Justin Timberlake
- Original music – Craig Armstrong
- Puppy Love – S Club Juniors
- River – Joni Mitchell
- Rose (From the Original Motion Picture Score Titanic) – James
- Silent Night – Pre Teens
- Smooth – Santana ft Rob Thomas
- Songbird – Eva Cassidy
- Sweetest Goodbye – Maroon 5
- Take Me As I Am – Wyclef Jean ft Sharissa
- The Trouble With Love Is – Kelly Clarkson
- Too Lost in You – Sugababes
- Turn Me On – Norah Jones
- Wherever You Will Go – Calling
- White Christmas – Otis Redding